Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lordy, Lordy!

Andrea is 40!

My sister will hate me for this, but it had to be done.

The story goes that on the day that Mom and Dad brought Andrea home from the hospital I walked over, gave a look, and walked away. I'm guessing that 3 year old had bigger fish to fry than dealing with a new baby!

I've often said that our gene pool didn't come with a rope across the middle, it has a wall. My sister could not be less like me if she were special-ordered. I'm pretty sure she didn't even really like me for a long time. I couldn't run around outside and play sports and she had no interest whatsoever in Barbies or playing house or school. So we co-existed under the same roof for about 15 years until I left for college. Made things a little more tolerable for her.

And then she went to college. Same town, different school. And suddenly, magically, I wasn't so bad anymore.

We actually became friends. We had no choice but to be sisters but we actually developed a true friendship. We used to get funny looks around Conway when we'd go do things together since no one could understand folks from the rival colleges hanging out together. The disbelief grew when we told people we were sisters since we look absolutely nothing like each other. We actually get amused when we tell people we're sisters because they'll start stammering and try to say they "see it now". No, they don't and we let them off the hook. The one thing that Andrea DOESN'T find funny is when someone will actually ask who is older.

Oooooooooo not a good question for the baby sister. She explains that I don't have 3 children to give me wrinkles.

Whatever.

Anyway, my sister has become more than a friend over the years. She and I have been through an awful lot together and she is a source of encouragement, inspiration and support, a confidant, and one of the people that I can count on for whatever I need. And not every family has that. We don't always agree and still come down on opposite sides of the fence on occasion, but I know she's there.

And she no longer wipes off my kisses or turns red when I tell her I love her.

And I do.

Have a wonderful day little sister!

2 comments:

  1. AHHH...Happy Birthday Andrea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is sweet D!!!
    It is a very true story! We have the same recollection of our childhood but we have grown into super adults that just learned to appreciate our differences as we got older! I love you to death and I consider you one of my "go to persons" when I have a problem!
    Thanks for always being there!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?