Saturday, August 15, 2009

There's Lives at Stake Here People!

When most of us chose our career paths it was based on something in which we excelled or for which we felt a passion. I realize some people aren't that lucky and have to accept whatever job they can find or qualify for or that is available.

I also understand that sometimes employers are left hiring someone that may or may not be the most optimal for the job.

But come on, if you are going to accept a job where you have the lives of others in your hands I have a certain level of expectation. I may be one of those people.

How many news stories do we have to hear about major mass transit accidents that are the result of the operators/controllers either talking or texting on their cell phones? OK, to be fair, I don't know that the air traffic controller involved in the accident of the tour helicopter and small plane was on a cell phone, but he was on a personal phone call.

Lines have to be drawn. And clearly the rules of proper behavior have to be spelled out since the drivers/operators/controllers don't seem to have the common sense necessary to understand that if you are running a passenger train, or a subway train, or any other vehicle of mass public transit then you need to leave your cell phone at home.

Period.

If I goof up at my job people don't die. They may owe more taxes or have to refund grant monies or they may get a refund with interest but they live to see another day. And we aren't permitted to use our cell phones at work.

Cell phones have their place, don't misunderstand me. I resisted the urge to get one for a long time and one week after I finally gave in I was traveling alone (although there were 3 dogs with me so I wasn't alone but rather without assistance) from Little Rock to Kansas City and had a flat tire in the foothills of Missouri. I was about 20 minutes over the Arkansas/Missouri state line, which is to say I was in the middle of nowhere. In that situation the cell phone was a godsend.

But back then all you could do on a cell phone was make phone calls. Now you can check your email, trade stocks, take pictures, shoot a video, email that to your buddies, text your friends, leave your grocery list on a voice memo, play games, and listen to music.

Do everything except really and truly connect with people.

I have posted before that I am fairly "into" all this electronic stuff. I have Facebook, Twitter, Zannel, and MySpace pages; ipods, and a BlackBerry and Palm graveyard as I upgrade with technology but I do try to be mindful of talking while driving. My car is bluetooth-equipped so it will answer my phone for me if it rings and I can talk hands free. But this is the first car I've had that did so.

I'm not perfect and I know I'm not. I've done stupid stuff while driving and gotten lucky. But, as I said, I really do try not to. But driving strangers and running mass transit vehicles is not my job.

I guess I'm just truly fascinated that these people have to be told to not take their cell phones on the trains, or to let someone else (untrained) drive the trains. They are holding our lives in our hands, literally, and I expect better.

1 comment:

  1. I Agree - Safety First.!!

    I think the people who commit these acts truly believe they are skilled enough at what they do, that nothing is going to happen. It's mind boggling but just think of how many other times these same people were texting or talking and nothing happened. So, it just becomes part of their routine whether they're working or not. The line does need to be drawn, but who is going to do it. It has to be, in their careers, either mandated or a safety conscious minded person.. I'm sure that some who fly, still are "safety first"... and that's what this boils down to..
    A>G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?