Saturday, October 3, 2009

Just a Reminder to Say Thanks

My cousin put together this video as a tribute to the outgoing commander of the Corp of Engineers in Afghanistan (in 2007). The video is from photos he took while serving there. I even see him in one!

It shows some really good stuff that we're doing over there. I also see a lot of happy soldiers and people making the best of a situation. With Veteran's Day coming up I think it is important to remember all who serve, in any capacity, living or deceased, and their families who give them up for a time for the rest of us. I have been extremely proud of all the family members, on both sides on my family, who have served - and there are many. I hope you enjoy the video.

I find this one in particular very special because of the location. While I am miles and miles away from what anyone would classify as a feminist, I do believe very strongly in the rights of women and the Afghan culture, prior to us helping them see the light, was not particularly strong on women's equality. The book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" shed a bright light on what I consider to be the problems with the Taliban leadership.

So, for us to be over there helping to build schools and infrastructure and support a government that recognizes that women are more than a man's possession is a wonderful thing in my eyes. Yes, I know we can't force someone to believe as we do, but we can absolutely support those who are trying.



P.S. He says it looks better when viewed at half screen or smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?