Thursday, December 3, 2009

Brad Pitt for President

Now, before you all get your knickers in a bunch, keep reading.

I've said before that when Billy and I first met we were on opposite ends of many, many spectrum.

One was politics.

I was raised fairly conservatively (OK family members, clean up where you spit out your coffee on that understatement) and Billy was raised a Democrat.

We at least called ourselves Registered Independents so we could decide in which primaries to vote and gave ourselves the "freedom" to vote the person not the party.

Billy was raised a Democrat.

This caused many a interesting election nights, especially during the Clinton Years.

Being from Arkansas, they were ALL Clinton Years.

I will make no secret of the fact that I despise Bill Clinton. Not a fan of Hillary, either, but I cannot stand Bill Clinton. One thing that Billy has always tried to get me to see is a division of the President, the Man and the Office. I don't have to like the person in the Office but there should be some level of respect for the Office itself.

I think he makes a very good point but I could never see past all of Bill Clinton's embarrassments to see anything positive that came out of his Presidency. I'm sure there were accomplishments and so on but not in my view.

Because of my conservative nature I have not been a big supporter of our current President, either. I strongly disagree with a lot of his ideas. But I've been trying to at least listen and give them time. Not to take a hard line before they've had a chance to develop and either succeed or fail.

Now, over the years, Billy has moved his outlook a little more to the center and looks more at the Person than the Party when he votes. But he has always maintained that whether or not our candidate wins the election we should support the Office and try to give some benefit to the decisions being made.

He also did not support Mr. Obama for the election but he has really tried to be positive and open about what is going on. Until the other day. I don't know what we were watching but he just blurted out that he was so disappointed in everything that was going on right now. He couldn't see that the nation was making progress and he thought Mr. Obama was disingenuous to say he was not disappointed that Guantanamo Bay would not be closed by the original January 2010 deadline.

Something else was said on the television and Billy just said "if all they wanted was a celebrity, why didn't they just elect Brad Pitt".

I felt sort of like a mom watching a child lose their innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?