Thursday, February 18, 2010

You Just Have to Want It!

Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.

Who was President during World War I?

Name one of the writers of the Federalist Papers.

What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?


Recently one of my friends posted on Facebook that she and her son had been invited to, and attended, a naturalization ceremony for new US citizens.

How cool is that!?!

Another friend of mine has a sister-in-law that was also made a citizen last spring.

I decided to look up some of the test questions to see how I would do. I am pleased to say that I would have done OK. But the questions above did give me pause.

I've been thinking a lot lately about "being" an American. What it means. Why it is sought.

It is an honor and a privilege.

I totally "get" wanting to be an American. Until recently, whenever I would answer polls about issues facing America I would typically respond that illegal immigration is one of our biggest problems.

I understand why people would want to come and live in America. BE an American.

I just wish they would do it according to the rules.

So I really think it would be cool to see the ceremony of those that do earn their citizenship. Those that work for it.

Because really, aren't those the people that we want to be citizens? Those that want it bad enough to wait and work for it. Citizenship should be earned, not just handed out.

I saw the other night that one of our Olympic athletes is a naturalized citizen.

And here is my thing on the Olympics. I love them! I love the sports but I love the national pride even more.

Team USA.

Imagine, loving a country so much that you not only give up you own home country - leaving behind family, friends and a language you understand, you study and pass the exam and take the oath, and then you represent your new home in the biggest sporting event in the world.

Very cool.

I will admit that one of the items on my Bucket List is to live in foreign country for a while. 6 months. Maybe a year.

Italy springs to mind.

But I don't want to give up my citizenship to do so. Just a nice long visit.

Because I know what it means to an American.

Freedom.

Freedom to speak my mind. Freedom to have a say in my government. Freedom to worship as I chose, where I chose. Freedom to be anything I want to be, wear what I want to wear, go where I want to go.

I am proud to be an American. I am proud of our country and what we represent. I am not always proud of our representatives, but I am proud of what we are.

I still, every single time, get tears in my eyes when I hear the "Star Spangled Banner".

Because we are the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

So, I say Welcome! to all the people who have consciously decided to join our great nation they way they are supposed to. To those that have just chosen to come to America by other methods, I say Adios!

5 comments:

  1. I pick Italy too! 6 months sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right it is very rewarding to be involved with others becoming new citizens. Back in the late 70's a new organization was birthed in LR- Friendship International. I was a charter member and it was and is an organzation that reaches out to internationals. It stills meets every Thursday at Immanuel Baptist Church in LR. I haven't been involved in years, but in the beginning I taught Goverment for Citizenship. It was very rewarding. I had taught Civics and Government in school as well as US History. A lady in our church whose husband was an OB doctor in LR was one of my first students. I went all the way through with her and prepared her for her test and went to her ceremony. Very rewarding.
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCELLENT!!! can we have the answers to the questions? ok---we'll look them up. B&C

    ReplyDelete
  4. The young lady, Teresa from Vietnam, that does my nails just got her citizenship! She wanted it because her husband, Jimmy.....not real name, he's from Vietman also.....had his and she wanted her Mother to come and live with them. Her Mother could not come unless she was a citizen of the US. Teresa was so excited, but nervous, on the day she took her test. I just happened to be there that morning and she took the test a 12:30. Her Mother is now in America, living with her and Jimmy and she's the sweetest lady in town. She and I have the same BD!!!!!!!!! Everytime I come in, she starts to smile and say, "we have same birthday"!

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too had the opportunity to attend a naturalization ceremony here in Austin several years back. An Asian lady who lived across the street and who is married to a Vietnam vet friend of mine. This woman worked in the restaurant business working as many as 3 jobs waiting tables at a time. To help support her daughter and make a good home for the whole family. It was interesting to read the questions that they had to answer at that time for me. I wondered how many of our own could answer any of those questions correctly. Anyway, it was an honor to attend with her and her husband. I felt proud to be an American and to support someone like her who really does take pride in America and who has really worked to become a citizen. I still have the little American flag that they give everyone who attends. It is proudly sticking up on the dash of my van where I planted it, on that day, for all to see.... A>G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?