Sunday, August 1, 2010

Patriots of America - Part 1

After last week, I have much to share so I am anticipating a two-parter on this one.

My mom, my niece Brett and I all took a trip together last week. It was a structured motor coach tour aimed for school children in the summer.



There were 28 of us all together. Mostly grandparents with grandchildren. One other family had 3 generations - one grandfather, his daughter, her daughter and a grandson from one of his other children. There was one couple with their son.

We were the only family with our particular combination.

History is just more my thing and Mom thought it would be good for me to go.

Brett and I had a ball together! Such a wonderful opportunity for some quality one-on-one time that we don't have very often.



The tour covered a lot of areas. We started in Philadelphia and saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross' house, and the Constitution Center.

Even met Ben Franklin!



The tour continued down through the Pennsylvania Dutch country to Gettysburg then on to Colonial Williamsburg, Mt. Vernon and finally Washington, D.C.

The tour company had a suggested reading list. I bought the set but, let's face it folks, I've been a little busy so I didn't get to read them before I left.

After the trip, I'm now starting on "Founding Brothers".

It was really awe-inspiring to be standing in Independence Hall and think that you had just crossed the same threshold that George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, all those men, had also crossed.

Gave me chills, actually.

These were not just names in a book anymore. They were coming to life!


On Wednesday we heard "Patrick Henry" at Williamsburg. The gentleman portraying him was incredible. It was like we were hearing him in real time.

And he didn't do the whole "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech, though he did discuss it when asked. His words to the crowd there were as they would have been 150 years ago when the Constitution was being written. You really got a sense of how thoughtful our Founding Fathers were and how seriously they took the task at hand.

They only knew what type of government they didn't want. They had no real foundation or example for what they were trying to build. Yet the Constitution was written in 3 months time.

And they didn't all agree with each other. But they learned to compromise and work for the good of the people. I may be remembering incorrectly but the Constitution itself didn't call for a two party system. The separate parties evolved naturally. George Washington only ran for a second term because the disagreements between Thomas Jefferson and someone else were getting so contentious that he felt it best.

But both were passionate.

The citizens of this new nation were more important than whose name got to be first or whose state could profit most.

You felt that listening to Patrick Henry. The passion in his voice. The sense of the greater good for which they were striving.

It wasn't just business as usual.

You really started to realize, at least I did and I think from the spontaneous applause from the audience others did as well, how far from those ideals and principles our government has moved.

And that is directed at the whole government and for many years. Not just the current Administration or any one party.

Our government as a whole.

They talk, but do they say anything?

Is there any passion in their words? Any feelings at all - other than boredom maybe?

Has serving the great citizens of these United States of America become just a job?

I realized how much I'd forgotten about our own history. Which is a shame. Everyone needs a refresher course. We need to remember what people went through in order for us to be free. And I'm not just talking about those who died. Obviously those men who fought for our independence are patriots. But I think we sometimes forget there were 56 men who signed that Declaration.

They all put their lives on the line for a better way of life of all of us.

Forty men, some the same as the above, developed and signed the Constitution. A guiding document for this new, free country. Again, not for personal recognition but for everyone.

It was a great week. So, thanks to Gilliam for getting us everywhere safely and to Beth for making education so much fun!



There's more to come!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. I’m so glad you remembered as I have already forgotten some of the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    MOM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?