Wednesday, October 6, 2010

And the Circle Continues

I have very vivid memories of growing up with my Uncle Billy. We spent a lot of time on the farm during the summers or holidays and he never acted like he minded hanging out with us.

There are lots of good times that I could share - watching Star Trek and such - but there is one thing in particular that has always stood out to me.

When I was a child, I was an indoor child. Reading, board games, reading, needlework, reading. You get the picture. Someone gave me Scrabble for Juniors for some occasion. Most likely my birthday.

Uncle Billy agreed to play a game with me. I don't believe he had married yet so I was under the age of 10. It shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that I read all the rules first before playing.

One of the rules stated that brand names were unacceptable words. So, when Uncle Billy played "arid" I protested! My limited vocabulary only knew "arid" as "Arrid", as in the antiperspirant. He patiently explained to me the definition of the word he played - dry, like a desert. Knowing me, I probably verified that with the dictionary.

But I've never forgotten that word. Nor how I learned it.

I love being an aunt. It is my favorite role, after being a wife.

I posted on my Facebook page that I was addicted to "Words with Friends" - an electronic Scrabble game. (I'm playing people from all over the United States, and the world. I have opponents in Australia and the United Kingdom.)

Clay, my 15 year old nephew, "liked" it.

And then he added his screen name and told me to send him a game invitation.

Maybe that's not all that cool to anyone else, but my heart soared! I love that the guys (17 and 15) will even acknowledge their old aunt, much less want to do things with me.

So, tonight, Clay and I are playing Scrabble. No, it isn't the same as sitting across the table from one another. And I may not teach him any new words. I may be more afraid of him teaching me some. But it is still nice.

Nice that technology has afforded me a means to play without making a 9 hour drive.
Nice that I may be able to make some memories with him. If not tonight, then on a future game.

And there will be future games.

Win or lose, I hit the rematch button.

Look out spankyD567!

6 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOOOOOO good! Love it.

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find a like button. That is very sweet!!

    Aunt Donna Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously, you're good at multi-tasking, as well.... Sharing time with loved ones at any distance in any way, is a great thing... In more ways than one... A>G

    ReplyDelete
  4. great blog entry Deanne :0
    PS I play Words with Friends too - very addicting :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanne,

    I guess Uncle Billy was good for something. Thanks for sending it my way. We never know what people will remember about each of us ( bad or good).

    Unc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?