Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Human Condition

My day started around 4:30 with a cacophony of barking dogs.

Ours.

I rolled over in bed to find Billy standing at the bedroom window looking out. Apparently our street was full of police cars. And they were all parked in front of one house.

Ours.

A policeman had been giving a friend a ride home from his night job when he noticed that the back driver's side window on my car was all over the street. He stopped, called another officer and they made a report.

The vandals didn't take anything. There wasn't anything of value in it. I know better than to leave anything in sight. So they just hit it and left. Maybe our dogs started barking at the window shattering and scared them off before they could get anything.

You really can't go back to sleep after that so we just started the coffee pot and turned on the television. Two of the top stories were about a trampled shopper and a Marine who was stabbed in a robbery during Black Friday yesterday.

Is this what we're coming to?

Just two days ago we all gathered around family tables and gave thanks for all our blessings.

The next day, people turn into animals.

Yes, I know. The people that behave like this are "animals" to begin with. No real sense of common decency or propriety. An all-for-one attitude and the one is "me".

There are several ways to approach this. I could get angry. Wonder why I can't park my own car in front of my own house without anything happening to it. Wonder whose hide I need to find to exact revenge. I could get all sanctimonious and spout off about how glad I am I'm not like them.

Or I could continue to be thankful.

Thankful they didn't come into the house. (An elderly woman woke up the other day to an intruder.) Thankful they didn't take anything I couldn't replace. (A couple was robbed outside a restaurant the other night.) Thankful it happened when Billy was home. (He's already been taking care of me for a week and Riley since Thursday).

I can be glad that three people have been kind enough to stop and tell us that we had a problem and not just kept driving by - like all those folks that kept stepping on the shopper that fell instead of helping him up or making room for him to help himself.

I can not allow myself to become embittered by what I perceive as bad behavior all around me.

After all, the only person I can control in all of this is me.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, D.. Im sorry to hear that your car had been broken into and it also may have been kids just vandilizing for no reason, except to be mean... Folks, these days are caught up in this commercialization of the holidays. So, in turn, they have to get to the store to get an item before someone else, which is total non-sense to me... I say, let them have at it and Ill watch the results on the news....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanne your comment about how two days after we were giving thanks reminded me on when the tornado devastated Beebe when I was living there. I went to The Church with a bunch of old clothes that had somehow shrunk on me and hygiene and baby items I'd bought. The lot was full of people doing their " Good will". As I was in line to leave The Church Lot, one oo the " kind giving souls" cut off another in line. You shoulda seen the birds and cuss words fly. On a Church Lot by people who minutes were there to "be seen" giving from their hearts to the tornado victims. How does the goodness in people leave so fast?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?