Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Greatest Gifts

I love giving gifts. Real, thoughtful gifts. Sometimes for no reason at all.

I really dislike giving money or gift cards for special occasions, although sometimes it is necessary with teenagers in the family. What they are "into" changes from minute to minute and by the time I discover something is "hip" it is so yesterday. So I acquiese to them.

Except for my niece and nephews, I tried very hard to not ask what everyone wanted this past Christmas. I wanted to make an real effort to think about what I wanted to give, not focus on what they wanted. As adults, most us can buy what we want or need so it can easily turn into just a day of trading boxes, not really giving gifts.

It's hard to do. The easiest thing is just to get a list from everyone and just go scratch items off. But that isn't really the purpose of gift-giving, now is it?

I have two very dear friends with whom I have lunch each year when we're home for Christmas. I have known Heather since our first day of first grade at Argenta Elementary School. Our friendship is pushing 40 years. She lives in Atlanta now and we try to get one visit a year in at one of our houses. I've known Cindy since I was in high school and she was at Hendrix. We spent one year at Hendrix together and have stayed in touch ever since. Although they didn't really know each other previously, Cindy and Heather ended up at the same church while Heather was still in North Little Rock and developed their own strong friendship.

Our annual lunch is a special treat for the three of us. We talk as though we only saw each other the day before and there is no shortage of topics to discuss, and nothing is off limits. We eat at the same restaurant most years and we've closed the place down more than once.

And there are gifts.

Special gifts.

You see, these gifts are gifts from our hearts. We don't call each other and ask what the other one wants. We put real thoughts and efforts into the gifts. Heather travels to Europe extensively and always brings us something from wherever she's been. Linens from Switzerland. Glass ornaments from Venice. A kitchen tile from Italy.

Cindy has found things at her weekend at War Eagle or in town during the year. This year we received beautiful Tiffany blue jewelry boxes with a silver hummingbird and a purse compact that matched. And we can count on the gift from Cindy being presented in a beautiful tote bag for the books that Heather and I devour at every opportunity.

Gifts from the heart.

As they should be.

Of course, the time we spend together is the greatest gift. I know I could call either of them at any time and they'd come running. Just knowing and having these ladies in my life is a blessing and I'm forever grateful for the gifts of their friendship.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool to have those kind of friends.... To have good friends, you have to be a good friend.... Certainly, you are one..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a cool woman it is no wonder you have wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?