Tuesday, January 7, 2014

They Were Right

(NOTE>  I did write this on January 2nd - just didn't hit the right button to publish it.  Sorry for the lateness.)


I remember when I was growing how the "old folks" would talk about how fast time flew the older they got.

Pffttt! I would think.  Of course, a child has no real concept of time.  Someone tells you when to get up in the morning; when to go to school; when to go home; when to go to bed.  In the summer, time was daylight to dark.  But how could it go faster?  60 minutes in an hour.  24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year. 

Time was finite.

Au contraire!

Now, I get it.  I woke up yesterday and it was 2014.

How did that happen?

I have no idea, but I do know that 2013 was a very good year.  (After 2011 the bar wasn't really very high, but still, a good year is a good year!  I really don't remember much about 2012 as 2011 was carrying over.)

One of the highlights, a beautiful trip to the Emerald Isle with my mom.  Love her for taking me on the trip and allowing me to cross an item off my Bucket List (and yes, I really and truly do have an honest-to-goodness handwritten list in a notebook).  I need to write all about it, and I will.  We had a lovely time and I met some very nice folks with whom she travels.  I want to go back to Ireland with Billy (and not just so I can stand on the Cliffs of Mohr) and do a few more things but it was a great scouting trip.  (Mom has now decided that she has seen Europe and will forego any other destinations.)

I completed my first triathlon in 2013.  I say "first" because I had a ball (and a bawl - it's on video) and I intend to do others.  I'm anxiously combing the websites for 2014 dates.

 I also did two bike events last year.  The first was 16 miles which I was extremely proud of since I was on a borrowed bike and decided about a month before the event that I was going to participate.  The second was a 50 miler.  Half of the Big Dam Bridge 100.  What made that even more special was that for probably the first time since we were on a swim team together, Andrea and I were in the same sporting event.  She did the full 100 miles.  I know my limits.  I even have the one picture of the two of us together before it started.  Mom managed to see both of us as we rode and we gave her framed pictures of us together and our individual pictures crossing the finish line.  (Side note - Billy's reaction to Mom opening the present was to ask what made us think she would want pictures of us on our bikes?  It's a mom thing.)

Billy and I took our two annual trips and had wonderful, peaceful times.  No stress (equate that with no hurricanes while we were away) and no outside worries.  We just packed up and left.  Both trips are for events that require us to put the cell phones away and lose ourselves in the moment.  Our two favorite weeks of the year.

Our family stayed fairly constant in size in 2013.  2011 and 2012 were both marked by significant losses, and a population explosion of grandsons for my uncle (3 in one year's time!), but we didn't really gain or lose anyone this year.  No funerals.  I like consistency.  There were some births on the Rodgers side of the family but we're all so spread out (geographically, chronologically) that those seem a little harder to track. 

So 2013 came and went without a ton a fanfare, which was good for me.  That is not to say it was without its trials and tribulations.  Some things cut pretty deeply and there is seemingly no end to my stress at work. 

But I have work.  Others don't.  

In my life I am surrounded by people I love and that return that love to me.  Many aren't that fortunate.  I come home every day to a Herd that acts as if I've been gone an eternity, even if I only went out to check the mailbox.  I love getting my face slurped!  No matter the events of the day, you cannot be in a bad mood in this house for long.  You have to leave it on the porch because these furballs will bring a smile to your face.  Some people never get to experience that true unconditional love - from man or animal.

I am blessed, and I know it.  I try my best to say Thank You every night.  (I never forget but sometimes I'm so exhausted at night that I'm asleep before I can even get started on all for which I have say thanks.)

It is sometimes a chore to remind myself to be happy.  You wouldn't think so, but it can be.  I have to stop and take stock every once in a while and remind myself that work will always be there and people will always disappoint and situations may not always go according to my plan.  But things will always go according to the Higher Plan and for that I am grateful, and happy.

So Happy New Year to one and all!  I hope that 2014 finds me here a little more often.  This is part of what makes me happy.  I didn't write enough in 2013 - but I did get some interesting reaction to some of what I did write. 

And that makes me happy.

And I now understand.  Time flies.  And it goes too fast to spend a lot of it on things that don't make you happy.  It is finite.  I commented one time, many years ago, that I didn't have time for something (since I was talking to Andrea it was probably exercise-related) and she commented that I had the same 24 hours in a day as everyone else.  Very true.  It is all in how you decide to spend yours.

(Remember, work will always be there.)

Au Revoir, 2013!  You were a very good year.

Bonjour 2014!  Can't wait to see what you bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?