Sunday, August 2, 2015

Pura Vida

Better late, than never.

On April 18, 2015,  Billy and I embarked on a journey to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

Yep, that same anniversary that was in August, 2014.

The original plan was to go in November, 2014, around Thanksgiving.  I can usually take a 10 day vacation during that time of year and, planned correctly over holidays and weekends, it will only take 3 or 4 actual vacation days from work.

But work was hectic and I didn't feel like I could enjoy myself with so many open items on my plate, so we postponed.  The week between Christmas and New Year's sounded perfect.

But work was full and I was behind and, again, I didn't see how I could have a nice trip with so much hanging over me.  So we postponed, again.

Billy suggested February.  OK, I gave him a pass.  Surely in 25 years together he realized February was the heart of my busiest time of year and I just moved past that idea.

April 18, while still not perfect timing for me, was the first available time for us to go and I refused to let work take precedence yet again (side n ote, I actually lost paid time off last year because I let work take precedence too often) so we booked our airline tickets and jetted off to paradise.

Costa Rica.


Pura Vida.  The Pure Life.

For one week, we were unplugged and surrounded by some of God's greatest handiwork.




We learned about life over there.  Transportation (don't rent a car); industries (coffee anyone?);  and the huge ecological impact - not just the rainforest but recycling is huge over there!



We saw howler monkeys and other native animals.


(Ok, that one is a joke.)

















Played in the Pacific Ocean.



Tried new foods.



Made good friends.





And don't forget the volcano!



But mostly, we just enjoyed each other.  Totally unplugged.  Most of the television stations were in Spanish, which neither of us speak, so we were not constantly bombarded with news, like we are at home.  I wanted very much to turn off the television when we returned home.  Just to keep that blissful feeling.

For one week, just the two of us.  Walking to the grocery store.  Only getting on the internet twice a day to check on the "kids", and even then only in the hotel room, not out on our adventures.  Seeing the world.  No cares.  Exploring.  Learning. 

Life was good that week. 

It was Pura Vida. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?