Saturday, November 22, 2008

Negative Progress

I see the obvious contradiction in the title. How can progress, a seemingly forward concept, be a step backward? But let's think about it.



I recently became aware of a several young girls in town that are pregnant. Used to be if a young woman found herself "in the family way" she, and maybe another female family member, were sent out of town until after the baby was born, and probably put up for adoption. Now, they take their ultrasounds to school and show them off. And the grandparents end up raising two generations simultaneously. And wonderful loving families that could give an adopted the child the world remain childless.



Was this the intended consequence of all the women's movements in the 60s and 70s? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are no longer back-alley abortions (although my thoughts on that topic will be saved for another day). No woman deserves to die or be permanently mangled for a bad decision. But society has shifted from casting shame to saying its OK. Its not OK. Unmarried pregnant celebrities should not be on the cover of every magazine. That is certainly not the right message - is it? Surely there is some middle ground between horrified and accepting?


Some will say "we've come a long baby!". True. We are a long way from where women started. But does distance necessarily make it progress? I don't think so. The solution? I don't know. I only know that this current path will probably not yield the desired destination.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?