Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reality. Really?

I opened up my People Magazine this week to discover yet another incarnation of "The Real Housewives of" series. By my count, we're up to 5 locations - Orange County, Atlanta, New York, New Jersey and now Washington DC.

I realize that I'm in a minority here. Obviously I am otherwise these shows would not exist. I can't tolerate these shows.

And this is just one series of so many reality shows. You've got The Hills, The O.C., Keeping up with the Kardashians, The Simple Life, My New BFF, Jersey Shore and so on and so on.

I honestly don't get it.

For the most part, these are shows with young people that have become famous for nothing more than spending the money their parents, or grandparents, earned. Really, can you think of anything else the Kardashians have done to garner such fame as they have? Their father defended O.J. Simpson and their stepfather is Bruce Jenner, gold medal Olympian. Kim, Kourtney, Khloe and their stepbrother Brody - nothing. The Hilton sisters - Nada.

And yet they are all given such celebrity.

What are we emulating? A spoiled life of excess? I mean, sure, there are days when I fantasize about living that lifestyle, but it isn't reality.

At least not my reality, nor that of anyone I know.

And I don't think I could stand it for very long.

And yes, there are other reality shows that show a little more "real life". They show firefighters, police officers, fishermen, and oil rig drillers at work. Earning a living. Working long hours at dangerous jobs to support their families.

Can you name one person in those shows?

I can't.

But I can name Snooki, The Situation, Heidi and Spencer.

Quite ridiculous, in my opinion.

And I don't even watch those shows.

I don't watch Big Brother, Survivor, The Duggars, Kate Gosselin, or any of the others.

There is only one show that I've ever watched more than one episode. And I'm growing bored with it. The last few episodes were seeming more and more contrived.

In other words, Unreal.

If this is entertainment then, to quote my daddy, "you can find me ten", or something like that. (Never did quite figure out what he was saying!)

If these are the examples we as a society are holding up for the next generation then I only have one thing to say -

Hello Hell? One hand basket coming down.

4 comments:

  1. I so agree Deanne. Do you remember MTV's 'Real World'? We were kids when the first seasons were on...we knew it was stupid and we made fun of it. People take these programs too seriously - television used to be for entertainment now it's just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale Tanksley commented on your link:

    "Deanne I love reading your random thoughts. I look forward to it. And to think, I thought I was the only one in the world that had a lick of sense, ha. Do you ever watch Ice Road Truckers? I was going to apply for one of those jobs. I had checked it out and had a decent shot because I HAD an exemplary record and history. Virco had promised me a leave of absence. Then I got stupid and you know the rest. My bad. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My thoughts exactly.

    Also, "you can FINE me ten", which means, you can fine me ten dollars if you can prove what you're saying.

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right on again. You need to write for a big newspaper!!!!! Your daddy would be proud of your morals and ethics, not to mention your smarts. Cis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?