Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Big Picture

Back in the old days, late 70s and early 80s, when you went to see a concert you actually watched the performers. Side note - I do believe my first concert was Styx in Little Rock, early 1981. My very cool, and much younger than my unhip parents, aunt and uncle took me and some friends while Mom and Dad babysat my newborn cousin. I'm not sure if they kept both my cousins or just the one. Anyway, I digress...



Even if you didn't have great seats, you were steadily watching the stage. Trying to make sure you didn't miss anything. Then along came the advent of the screens on the sides of the stage. Helped you see the singers better. One of the first ones of those I remember was Alan Jackson, I think. Anyway, at the time we thought it was so cool to see the singers so "close up". Of course, with that you only see what the cameraman thinks is important to see, not all the action. Now there is a full on video extravaganza going on around and behind the performers. We just saw Brad Paisley and he had video stuff all over! He even had Keith Urban and Allison Krause there digitally for his duets with them. The Allison Krause was so convincing that it took a while to realize that she wasn't real.



But I catch myself watching so much of all the extra stuff that I'm not actually watching the stage anymore. I could be sitting at home in front of my television and not inside a packed arena. I'm missing the show itself because I'm looking at the Big Picture.



That started me to thinking. How much of life are we missing because we're looking at the Big Picture? We're working crazy hours to fund a child's future education, but missing the time at home helping with homework. We want big and better houses without realizing that if we're not there to enjoy them, or if they aren't filled with love then they are nothing but four walls and roof. We plan for a future retirement and all the things we want to do, without remembering that the here and now is all that we're promised. We want the Big Picture but forget that it is the small details that make it complete. An unpainted canvas on a wall is not much to look at. A child's drawing on a refrigerator can be a masterpiece.



So stop next time. Stop planning so much and wanting the next big thing. Enjoy the day that you've been given for what it is - a gift. Quit looking at the video screen and watch the stage. Its much more interesting.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?