Friday, April 3, 2009

Naunie's Roses

A few weeks ago I was asked by my garden club to participate in the annual flower show. This is the second time I have been asked.



Let's just say my first foray into the flower show competition was interesting. I was so completely out of my league it wasn't even funny. I worked really hard on my entry, took it to the venue only to be sent home (temporarily) to find something live to cover the apparatus holding the flowers. Thankfully I have TONS of ivy growing in my yard.



I was given Honorable Mention. 4th place out of 4 in my category.


Hey, everyone's a winner that participates, right?


Anyway, I got the call this year. Now, I truly have a problem saying no to people. Its a fault. I know and I'm trying to get better. It is usually easier for me to say no when my husband is sitting there staring at me.


I got this call at work.


I also have to round up volunteers for other organizations so I truly sympathize when these ladies call. I could hear in her voice that this had been a struggle so I agreed. At least this year the flower show would be after busy season. That was a plus already. So she gave me the theme -- Victorian Weddings -- and told me that the lady hosting the show would be having an open house for the participants so that we could go and scout the location and decide where our arrangement would look best.



At this point I cracked up laughing. She hesitated. I apologize for laughing in her ear and told her that I just had a visual of me walking into anyone's home and saying "YES! This is where my arrangement should go!" I told her anything I could put together would simply be taking up space. You could actually her the relief in her voice and she started chuckling. "I need space fillers" she said.



Well, she is getting one. I will, of course, give it my best effort but my skills are limited.



I received a reminder voice mail about the open house this Sunday and jotted the details down on the scratch pad beside the phone. I saw them yesterday when I was home for lunch and my first thought was "Boy I wish Naunie was closer."



You see, Naunie, my 95 year old grandmother, always grew the prettiest roses and could arrange them. She always had little bud vases on the table and it was not unusual to be sent to get something from the outdoor refrigerator (in the store room, not literally outdoors) only to find coffee cans full of flowers from other people's yards. I asked her about it once, since I never actually saw anybody leave the flowers, and she responded that people just knew she needed them for whatever function she was attending that day -- church lunch, bridge club, whatever. She would do the flowers. (Side note - I do remember getting in trouble a couple of times for playing with the floral foam. I didn't know that once you squished it you really couldn't use it anymore. I got the message).



Apparently it is not genetic.



It is one of those things that I wish I had taken the time to learn from her while she could still teach it. Too often we think there will be time for something and we let other stuff take precedence and put it off. Even though my grandmother is still living, she can't see like she used to and doesn't really remember stuff like she should so, truly, the moment has passed.



Much like her skill with flowers.



I love to grow roses in my yard and I cut them and bring them into the house. It always makes me feel connected with Naunie. Something we share. I just wish I'd recognized what else she had to offer.



Maybe I'll dedicate this year's entry to her.



She'll be tickled with whatever we get. Fourth place will be just fine with her.

2 comments:

  1. Aweeee, that was sweet. Naunie would be proud. Be sure to take a picture and send it to her or e-mail your mom one to take her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?