Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We're Paying for This?

My husband and I watch a lot of C-SPAN. Sad, but true. Especially when there are big topics being discussed. I want to know what the people that are supposed to be representing me are saying and doing and how they vote so if they stop representing how I feel I can work to replace them.

I was forwarded a video recently. A video where Representative Brown from Florida was congratulating her Gators on a BCS Bowl victory.

I know I was forwarded the video because in it she stumbles through reading her prepared statement and she mispronounces several very basic words and doesn't always use proper grammar. However, I am in no place to judge that. I have gotten on stage and forgotten my lines, butchered words to no end and, even here, don't always type in complete sentences. So I won't fault her for that. I'm a firm believer in Bad Karma so I'm not poking any fun at her.

No, what I couldn't believe is that she was doing this doing working hours. All I could think was "We're paying for this." I'm all about team spirit and love college football, but really, is the floor of the House of Representatives the proper venue? I couldn't see who else was in the Chamber but I kept thinking that surely someone had some legitimate business to discuss and was having to wait for her to finish. Thankfully she didn't use the entire 5 minutes she'd been granted and yielded the balance of her time.

Maybe I'm wrong, or just cranky from a lack of sleep. I've seen enough C-SPAN to know there are lots of times where people are just milling around and don't appear to be doing much of anything. And they are getting paid for it. I just worked 276 hours in the month of March. One month. I worked hard. And I'm willing to bet I don't make as much as the members of Congress.

So, am I in the wrong business? Or am I wrong to expect just a little more from the people that I give a job to? Technically, I am their employer and as such I have expectations.

Great Expectations.

(Now, before anyone reminds me that I don't live in Florida and didn't elect Gentlewoman Brown and therefore did not give her a job let me just say that she is probably not the only one. I just haven't caught anyone else - yet.)

2 comments:

  1. Hee Hee. That's funny.

    "yet" - your congressperson should be afraid..very, very afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darla - you may think you're kidding but I have been known to fire off some pretty good emails when I get ticked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?