Sunday, May 24, 2009

Many Thanks!

Despite her warts, blemishes and imperfections, the United States of America is the only country in which I want to live. No question.

Nowhere else do I have the freedom to write a blog, and say what I want without fear. I have the freedom, and right and privilege, to vote on my leaders and the laws under which we live. I can marry whomever I choose. I can live wherever I feel.

I am free.

For that, how can you possibly say thank you enough?

How can you ever truly express the gratitude that you (should) feel to a family who has lost a loved one in the defense of our great nation? How can you ever really honor those who have served and died throughout history?

Just think, we could just as easily be speaking French or Spanish if not for the bravery of men and women in the past, Or we could be still be under the British monarchy if not for the Revolutionaries.

I'm very grateful that I have a family who has long believed in service to our country. I know of family members that have served in just about every war since World War II all the way to Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm extremely proud of all of them. I'm also extremely thankful that we've not lost anyone in that service. I experienced my first military funeral last month and that 21 gun salute truly takes your breath away. The playing of TAPS sent me over the edge. And that was just to honor past service.

Whether or not you agree with our country's involvement in a conflict, be it Vietnam, Gulf Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan, or any military action the soldiers involved deserve our thanks. They are doing their job. Some were called to serve, some volunteered, but all deserve to have their hands shaked and their backs patted. Most of us will take off work, enjoy sports or backyard bar-b-ques, maybe a parade, but few will actually take the time to thank and remember those for whom the day was established (those who made the day necessary as Daddy would say).

So, let me start. Thank you. So very much. To all those Americans who have served to make this the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll add my thanks too! So glad to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?