Sunday, May 10, 2009

Out of My League

This was my entry into the Flower Show. The one that I wrote about a few weeks ago in the Naunie's Roses post.

Now, here is the explanation behind my entry. The theme of the flower show was "Essence of a Victorian Wedding" and my entry was in the dining room, labeled "Reception: Celebrating with the couple after the Ceremony". So I created the top tier of a wedding cake. Complete with notes that the magnolia leaves were representing the great swirls of white icing on most Victorian cakes. I did the trim with lantana out of my own yard.


Pretty much every other entry there - 23 others - were basic flower arrangements in a vase or some other container.


That was it. Second place in one division was literally a dozen roses - pink and beautiful - in a vase with some filler.


I knew I was in trouble when I took my entry and saw all these glorious arrangements. I started feeling like going with the theme had not been my best decision. After the judging the show was open to the public for 2 hours. Well, my husband and I got there about 30 minutes into the show. My magnolia leaves were now really turning brown and the lantana not quite so perky as in the morning. I asked when I could take my entry home. I was told that I should leave it until the end of the show, but I just couldn't. It REALLY didn't look like it belonged with the rest.


To my husband's credit he pumped me up by saying all the right things to say. "You showed creativity and imagination. Theirs were just a bunch of roses." And while I am proud of my entry and proud of myself for entering and trying, I have to admit to a little embarrassment. But, like I was reminded, some of these women wait all year for this day and I had one of my worst weeks in a long time last week and put my entry together yesterday morning. I finished it 10 minutes before the deadline. But I honored my commitment to the committee and did what I thought was a good effort.


Below is my 4th place ribbon. As expected. There are 4 entries in each division. Everyone gets rewarded for participating. But that's OK. I tried.


1 comment:

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?