Saturday, September 5, 2009

For Spanky D

Fourteen years ago today our family expanded by one.

A very special one.

Clayton Russell - Clay to his friends - made his appearance.

My second nephew.

That day was very special for me. Since Hayden was only 2 years old it was decided that his dad would stay at home with him overnight rather than with my sister in the hospital. Everyone else had other obligations so I got the very wonderful honor of spending Clay's first night in this world with him and my sister in the hospital.



Matter of fact, having previously had a big boy baby, my sister had learned a few things about trying to keep one fed - mostly she learned that bottles were not a bad thing. When the nurse came in with Clay during to night to eat my sister just looked at the nurse, pointed to me sitting in the chair, and said "hand him to her". So I got to hold that precious little boy and feed him his bottle. Despite having no children of my own, I didn't goof it up too badly. Even remembered to burp him! The next morning I had to drive back to Kansas City but as I said my goodbyes Clay did the one thing that babies do best - he threw up on me.

I still have that shirt. Cleaned up of course. Even in the massive clean out/give away last week I couldn't part with it. It holds a very sweet memory for me.



Of course, he isn't a little boy any more. He, like most of the family, is taller than me. He probably won't need my help carving the pumpkins anymore. But, to me, he'll always be that sweet little toddler who started every morning waddling down the hall, usually in little more than a diaper, arms outstretched to get a hug from his mom (I would do if I were in charge and Mom wasn't home) and start his day off right.

He is still sweet, still starts a lot of his days with a hug, very polite and a ton of fun. I am so glad he is one of us!

Happy Birthday Clay! I hope you have a wonderful day and many, many more.

Dee Dee loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?