Monday, September 14, 2009

Membership Has Its Privileges - Right?

DirecTv was launched in June 1994. My husband and I became subscribers in August 1995. One could say we were on board almost from the beginning. While we don't subscribe to all the available programming packages, we're not cheap either. DirecTv has made a pretty penny from us over the years.

I thought I had learned my lesson in the 80s with VCRs and taping everything I couldn't watch. I thought I had finally convinced myself that if I didn't have time to watch it the first time then I most likely wouldn't have time later. I avoided the satellite receivers with the digital recorders for a long time.

Then I caved.

And I love it! Whole seasons of shows get recorded and I get little mini-marathons whenever I chose. After enjoying this "bliss" for several years I decided to upgrade our second receiver to a DVR also. The logic escapes me - how I think I'll get to recorded programming on two televisions when the first one stays about 65% full at all times - but I wanted to upgrade.

On television the advertisements said new customers could get a free DVR upgrade just for switching.

If new customers could get that then surely long-time, loyal, devoted customers like us could get the same deal. Right?

Wrong!

On the first phone call I discovered that the receiver costs $200 plus $20 shipping and handling and $149 installation charge.

After a little discussion they agreed to waive the shipping and handling and installation charge.

A second phone call revealed that we were entitled to one receiver just for having programming. When I pointed out that we had purchased a second receiver already a few years before then I should be getting the new receiver free to replace the current free one.

Long story short (or is it too late for that??) it took three phone calls and I didn't get it all for free, but I got it down to $60. A moral victory if nothing else.

Why isn't customer loyalty rewarded? Why did I have to make 3 phone calls for something that common sense says should have taken place at DirecTv's initiation? Why don't satellite and cell phone and Internet providers actually call customers and tell them when there is a better plan or an improved service?

Why don't companies take care of those that take care of them?

In my world, we send out newsletters and emails with tax planning tips. I invite my non-profit clients to industry training to help them do their jobs better. I bake pies for my catering customers for their birthdays or other occasions without being asked. My husband cleans spots for his customers at no charge and hasn't raised his rates in 9 years - even when gasoline prices skyrocketed.

We try to take care of them because without our clients and customers we don't have jobs.

I know that the only way I could ever make a point with a service provider is to change. Money and actions speak louder than words. I could go to Dish Network or Verizon or T-Mobile.

But that takes time. Time I don't have.

Time I shouldn't have to spend.

These companies should not just assume that because I've been a customer for a long time that I will continue to be if not treated with respect.


I had originally planned to end this post here. As this rattled around in my head recently I realized that we, as people, often do similar things to those we love. We just assume that our family and friends will always so stand by or stand behind us without us asking or showing the proper respect, just because they are family. I can't just assume that my husband wants to help me with a project - I should ask. I should show the same appreciation for the value of his time as I expect others to show to me. We should use the good china for everyday dinners not just when company comes over or for a holiday. Aren't our loved ones special enough for the "good stuff"? I guess I can't expect others to do that which I'm not willing to do myself.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to tell Bill that I'm not the only one to have 65% + full DVR. It drives him crazy. I love when he goes out of town and I have my "mini-marathons!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?