Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Big Tobacco, Big Problem

I was mortified this morning when I heard of yet another enormous settlement awarded to a family of a smoker against the Big Tobacco companies.

I don't get it.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't know that smoking can kill you? Anyone?

The warning labels have been on the packages since the 60s.

Here is my take on it. I am diabetic. My particular version is that I am insulin resistant. If I engage in behaviors that cause my pancreas to overproduce insulin it doesn't know when to stop and then my body can't process all the extra insulin running around in there.

I have been very vigilant with my diet since I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have in recent years become more vigilant with my exercise to also help keep things under control. The medication I take every night is just the icing on the cake - so to speak.

It was explained to me like this - if my pancreas keeps overproducing insulin and not stopping it could wear out. Then it produces no insulin. Making me an insulin-dependent diabetic. An insulin-dependent yet insulin-resistant diabetic.

See the problem there?

So I pay attention to what I do. It is a choice. My choice.

If I didn't and ate everything I wanted all willy-nilly and then died of diabetic complications some day I don't think that gives my family the right to sue Hostess or Little Debbie or Blue Bunny ice cream.

They may have provided the means but I took the action.

Millions of people don't smoke. I have never once in my life lit up a cigarette. Ever. (Being an asthmatic plays into that - I've always said if I was going to commit suicide it would be by a faster method)

The cigarettes are available to me same as they are to everyone else. I made a choice. And everyone who buys a pack makes a choice.

A choice based on facts and circumstances that cigarettes are harmful to your health.

The argument is that the tobacco companies put all this stuff in the cigarettes to keep people hooked on them. Food can be just as addicting. Ask anyone who truly has weight problems.

Comfort food is called that for a reason. It makes us feel better when we eat it. And some folks need a lot of comfort. But there are other options out there if we look for them.

Personal responsibility. Making the right choices. Accepting the consequences of those choices.

Apparently these are dying skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?