Saturday, September 19, 2009

Come Fly With Me

This will be brief. More of a rant than a thought.

I believe, firmly, in keeping airline baggage handlers employed. I get really really aggravated at people that carry on a lot of bags on an airplane. They take up time and block the aisle. I carry on my purse and a book. If there is any more than that then it is my purse and small tote bag.

Both of which fit under the seat in front of me.

I thought maybe with the changes at security since September 11, 2001 that more people would check their bags since most toiletries and stuff won't go through.

I've been wrong before. Human nature hasn't changed. Folks just want to keep their stuff close. I know that airlines lose stuff. I've had it happen - once - in all my years of traveling.

But I still had hope and I stuck to my guns. Luggage should be checked!

Until this last trip.

Jet Blue, along with many other airlines, now charges for a second checked bag. Since I can't go anywhere without two bags - and that is a struggle at times - I was facing a dilemma.

We prefer not to incur any unnecessary expenses.

So, I actually carried on a bag. Billy did too. And since I couldn't take my normal tote bag (you can only have one carry on and one personal item) I had to figure out how to get everything wedged into those two bags. This trip requires lots of different types of clothing as well as all the accessories needed for watching outdoor sports (stadium cushions, binoculars, etc.) It was really stressful for me. I realize that sounds silly, but it was a big deal to me.

Now, I know many of you are just thinking, "pay the $25" but it really is the principle of the thing.

Airlines now charge you for just about everything - food, drinks, blankets, headphones. And they don't accept cash - credit or debit cards only.

It is almost as if we have to pay for the privilege of flying on their airline.

No one is that special!

Why do things have to be so complicated? Not only did I have the added stress of two bags, which was intensified on the return trip by the addition of purchases made while on vacation, but I had some of those confiscated at security.

I didn't realize that tomato paste, purchased from an authentic Italian grocery, was considered as "paste" under the TSA rules and the 4.3 oz tubes exceeded, obviously, the 3.0 oz limit.

I know, should have been apparent from the name. But honestly.....

Southwest Airlines is looking better and better to me. And they are expanding their routes to include more places we visit. (I've always enjoyed flying them but that haven't always been an option since we moved down South.)

They seem to be one of the few corporations that truly remember that without passengers/customers there are no flights.

No jobs.

No luggage to handle.

1 comment:

  1. I actually cried in Italy b/c I packed my conditioner (without knowing it) in my carry on. I didn't figure it would really matter b/c it was more like a face cream ... little jar and you put like a paste on your hair. I had paid too much for it but it was brand new ... and i had high hopes for how good it was going to be for my hair.

    And then they threw it out. Combine that with me being very, very tired ... and I cried.

    And I agree on the whole charge thing. Luckily Bill is Continental Elite or something which gives him an extra free bag and we have a continental credit card and it allows us to have a free bag. So, if it's not continental or SWA ... I'm not going.

    One bag isn't enough for this clothes horse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?