Sunday, July 12, 2009

And so it begins....

The Summer of "Me".

I woke up Friday morning and went through my usual routine - exercised, got my coffee and headed to the computer. And first time in a very long time there was nothing for me to do. No payrolls to do, no tax returns, no deposits to be made, no checks for the theatre.

I hardly knew how to act.

And then yesterday we all headed to Florida. Gonna start the summer off right! And when I say all I include not only my husband but also my mother, my sister, my brother-in-law, two nephews, one niece and one of my nephew's friends.

Three teenage boys and one preteen girl.

Could be an interesting week.

Today brought back a lot of memories.

1010 Ariola. Pensacola Beach. Mid-70s.

Growing up, for several years, my family spent a week in Florida with my mom's cousin and her family. My mom's cousin was raised more like a sister and they are very close. Her daughter was about 2 and a half years older than I but she seemed so much older. I thought she was beautiful and so sophisticated and I usually felt like a really dorky kid around her And the son was a week younger than my sister and they were like two peas in a pod.

So we 8 would spend a week at the house and all sorts of hilarity would ensue.

I will share some of those memories over the week.

But here is what came back first. In later years, the one boy cousin would bring a friend - to keep from being brutally outnumbered. Now I've told you all enough about my dad to understand that not just anyone could fit it. But this was a special young man and he joined in just like one of the family.

But, no matter how wonderful they are, teenage boys are teenage boys. They sleep half the day and stay up most of the night. And they just wander the beach looking for anything female in a bathing suit. Conversation is minimal. Matter of fact, I'm not sure I've seen them a sum total of 15 minutes since we got in from supper last night.

But, we're all here together. One family. Making memories.

Like this morning. I still arose at 5:45 am - conditioning you know - took a 2 mile walk on the beach and drank my coffee on the balcony with my husband.

Here's the view:



A nice memory already.

1 comment:

  1. Sleep in...you're on vacation!!! And have a great time too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?