Monday, July 13, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays

Today was both.

It started off nice enough. Got my walk in. But the storms settled in just before 11 this morning and it has been off and on since. But I've had lots of time to remember stuff.

First, we had so much fun last night. I brought my Wii and all the games and we bowled and played tennis for hours. I remembered all those years ago when the players were different and the games not quite as high tech but still fun.

Today, I thought about the day we played "beauty shop". I don't know if there was a hurricane or if it was just a bad week but I think that week it had rained about 4 days and we were running out of stuff to do indoors. One of the disadvantages to a house instead of a hotel with an indoor pool.

Anyway. Daddy agreed to be the "client". Now, picture in your mind every cowboys and Indians movie and think about the Indians. They all have long, straight, black hair, right? Well in the mid-70s perms on men were in. So my mom and her cousin tried to give Daddy a "perm". Cherokee hair does not curl. But it was hysterical to watch them try. Curling irons, rollers, you name it. Nothing worked. But it was fun. I can still see the black sky through the windows behind him and him just sitting there, patiently, while they worked on him.

We didn't do any of that today. We shopped and read and played a little more Wii. But it was only day 1. Hopefully the rain will move somewhere else where they need and want it - like back home.

In the meantime, we're going to grill out tonight and tomorrow night. For me cooking is a treat and not a chore so I'm looking forward to feeding my family. And probably play more games enjoy each others' company.

Because I know all too well that we won't always be here to do so. Two members of that group all those years ago are no longer with us. At least not physically. I know they are watching, though. And smiling.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a good time...rain or shine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?