Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mission Accomplished



One of the purposes of this past week's family vacation was to create some happy memories. Last year during this week my mother's husband lost his battle with a brain tumor after 18 months. So rather than dwell on that, we all packed up this year and tried to do something different.

Mission accomplished.

We had a wonderful time. I have to admit I felt a little apprehension. We'd never tried a big family vacation and we'd not spent a week together in a very long time. But it was all good.

That's not to say that we didn't think about Dicky. We did. But I think he would have been proud of how we spent this week. When Dicky was diagnosed he didn't let it stop him. When I say he battled the brain tumor what I mean is that he didn't give in to it. He took care of business and then he and my mom traveled and did whatever they wanted.

Right up until the end. The last trip they took was in May of last year. And it was a long one to California.

So I think Dicky would be glad that we were together and off having a good time. Not letting his absence get us down.





This week brought back many memories of those we've lost. I truly believe the best way to honor a life is to live. Take them with you in your heart and keep going. It isn't always easy. I know that. Some days your heart hurts so much you don't want to get out of bed.

But life goes on.

Like it or not.

So grab it by the horns and get out there and live it.

1 comment:

  1. Great pic of the gang...and you you, your mom and sister.

    Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?