Thursday, July 16, 2009

We Interrupt This Vacation

While I have spent a lot of time in the sun, sand and surf, I did stop some the last couple of days to follow the Sotomayor confirmation hearings.

I have said before that I want the best person selected for the position. Irregardless of gender, race, ethnicity, etc. So the question would really be what qualifications make the candidate the best choice?

I don't know definitively what the answer would be but I would think that one consideration would be not having your lower court decisions overturned by the Supreme Court.

Call me crazy. Wouldn't be the first time.

I know that the Supreme Court does not always agree on their decisions. You have dissenters. But I think her decision (she was one of a three judge panel I believe) was overturned fairly unanimously. Doesn't that speak to your ability to understand and interpret the laws?

I also have a little problem with some of the Senators stating that the President - any President, not just our current President - has the right to have his nominations accepted. So if they want to nominate their no-good brother-in-law to a high-paying government position it is supposed to just be confirmed without question?

Now that may an extreme example but, for me, it goes to the heart of the problem with our government system as it is currently constructed. Everyone is scratching each other's back and no one is willing to go out on a limb and just do the right thing.

Kind of sad, actually. The system will just be perpetuated and there will be no change. At least not a change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?