Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Life is All About Choices

I was reading an article the other day about Sarah Palin. I'm not here to debate Sarah Palin, the person. I understand that she is, or can be, a very polarizing person ad I'm not up for creating any controversy.

But I would like to objectively analyze some of her recent actions.

In her resignation speech she said "Life is all about choices". That is a true statement. But some people have been incredibly judgemental about her choices. I've heard "political suicide", "letting the Alaskans down", " serious mistake".

I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

When she was elected governor, if my memory serves me correctly, she had not given birth to a child with Down's Syndrome. She had some young children, yes, but not an infant that has special needs. She did find out early on that the child she was carrying would be born with Down's Syndrome.

So her first choice to have the child anyway. Some women might not have. Depends on what is important to the woman.

Then she was tapped to be the Vice Presidential nominee. She made another choice. That one would have to be tough to turn down. At least it would have been for me if I had been in her position.

After being in the public spotlight and all that entails, she made another choice. To step down early from the governor's office.

It isn't up to any of us to know what prompted her decisions. It could be that taking care of an infant/toddler and being the governor was more than she bargained for. I can certainly understand that.

It could be that she believed she was putting the the citizens of Alaska first by not trying to serve while distracted - either by other political aspirations or family issues or anything else. I could get behind that position. I hate these politicians that get elected to an office and then almost immediately start running for another office. I've seen it time and time again. To me, that is a greater disservice to the constituents than resigning.

It could be that after about a year of public scrutiny she made the choice to put her family first and everyone else be darned. I can get behind that as well.

We all make choices every day. Little stuff - what to have for breakfast, what to wear to work - to the big stuff. We choose our elected officials, we make choices about jobs. Every single day we live is nothing more than one long series of choices.

So, what right do I have to judge anyone else's choices? Who has the right to judge mine? I may not agree with you or you with me but ultimately the choice in question is mine or yours to make. If someone is doing something that they have truly been thoughtful about and believe in then I don't see where anyone else gets a vote. I've known of people that made a decision to refuse cancer treatment since it would only delay the inevitable. I've known people who leave good jobs to follow a dream. But those are personal choices.

At the end of each day we all get ready for bed. That typically includes brushing your teeth.

In front of a mirror.

As long as I can look in that mirror and look myself in the eye and have no regrets about the day's choices then I'm OK. I will sleep good. I can't worry about what anyone else may think. The only person that I ultimately have to satisfy is myself.

And, believe me, I am harder on myself than just about anyone else could be.

As is my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?