Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Changing a lifestyle, changing lives

In January 2007 I did a fairly simple thing. We have a community event called HealthQuest each January and I decided to go in 2007. Primarily because for $15 you got your blood work done at the beginning and end of the three month event - tested your glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides. Can't get that at the doctor's office! So I paid my money and took my place in line. Step one, blood pressure. Step two, weight and BMI (note the blood pressure reading is taken BEFORE the weight). Step three, draw blood. Step one, no problem. I'm so far below average that I'm often mistaken for dead. Step two - huge problem.

I was suddenly faced with the fact that having a positive body image is not always a good thing. I absolutely could not believe the number on the scale looking up at me. Now mind you we were using the scales from the local Weight Watchers chapter so these were the real thing. No arguing with them. I walked around in shock for quite a while after that. I had no idea I weighed that much.

I could give a lot of history and reasons as to how I got to that point. But the reality of it all comes back to lifestyle choices. In college I exercised an hour and a half 5 or 6 days a week. Walked around campus and on daily errands so I wouldn't lose my parking spot at the dorm. And I didn't eat great but it wasn't that bad either. Lifestyle choices. All that changed after I graduated and started working in the real world. Then I got married. And I ignored a previously diagnosed insulin condition that eventually got completely out of hand. (Moral of that story - if you decide to get a second medical opinion about a health issue and that opinion is vastly different from the first then go get a third to break the impasse. A very naive 20 year old took the advice that she liked best and was easier and not necessarily the best).

On that day in January 2007 I started changing my lifestyle choices. Part of HealthQuest was weekly meetings where you would learn new exercises or hear dietitians speak or something health-related. Nothing they said was new stuff but I heard it with different ears. I started walking. I ate my meals on a salad plate. I started keeping food logs. At the end of the three months I had lost 12 pounds. I managed to lose another 4 unaided by year's end.

Then I signed up again last year. The program changed some and I couldn't attend the meetings but I did make the Monday morning weigh-ins. It reinvigorated my efforts. I dropped another 30 pounds last year. On my own.

Foolishly I thought I could do this without anyone noticing. Don't know what I was thinking. I'm only 5'1" so gaining and losing 1 or 2 pounds shows. 50 has made me unrecognizable to some people that I don't see often. And I'm very uncomfortable with that aspect. I did not want to draw any attention to myself (save that for the stage) and I really don't like to talk about it. I did it for my health not my appearance. Of all the people that have noticed and commented on the weight loss only 3 have asked if I was sick or lost the weight intentionally before telling me that it looks good.

But I've learned that the comments (compliments) go with the territory. The real plus to those conversations is how many people have started making their own changes. Sort of "if she can do it I can do it" thing. I've been called an inspiration by some. I am directly or indirectly responsible for the increase in Wii sales in this area. (I added a Wii to my exercise for the summer since it is too hot and sticky around here to continue walking to work. Word got out and at least 6 or 7 people I know now have Wiis and use them for exercise.) Hello Nintendo!! A Christmas card would have been nice.

Now there is a little pressure with this. I can't backslide (not that I want to) because I don't want to let anyone down, especially myself, or disappoint. A little pressure is a good thing. I still have about 10 pounds to go. And yes those last stubborn 10 pounds have been the hardest! I know I'll make it. I don't push too hard. I enjoyed the holidays and didn't worry too much. I don't want to go back to where I was but I'm not uncomfortable with where I am now. The most important thing - I did it for me. For my health. For my future. Had nothing to do with how I looked. I thought I looked pretty good. And the person inside the shell is the same at 108 or 180. And if I can help someone else make the same changes for the same right reasons then I'm happy to do so.

Makes you stop and think how many people you might influence in your life. Especially all those that you never know about. You never know who all is watching how you live your life. Talk about pressure.

1 comment:

  1. You're the inspiration!!! Please...start a support group...help me hit 50! I have the Wii, as you know. I'm working on the salad plate and working out whenever possible. Congrats to you...keep me on track!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?