Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whatever happened to manners?

I've been stewing on this one a couple of days. Who boos an outgoing President? One who kept the terrorists at bay for seven and a half years. How tasteless and tactless. I read Ann Coulter's column this morning and some of this echos her comments.

No one booed Jimmy Carter when Ronald Reagan was inaugurated. I don't have a vivid memory of his administration but I don't remember very many good things.

As much as I detest Bill Clinton, I nor anyone else booed when George W. Bush was inaugurated in his place. I was actually privately doing a dance of joy! I found him to be very embarrassing for this great country that we live in.

Irrespective of what side you voted for, President Barack Obama was duly elected and he will be our leader for the next four years. Get over it. We can all waste a lot of time being negative or we actually become a part of the solution. You know the saying - if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem. The problem this country has faced for decades now is that we all refuse to get along. Yes I said refuse.

Cooperation and positiveness are choices we make. Make on a daily basis. If we continue to withhold support for our elected leaders, whether or not we agree with or supported them or even like the color of their suit, we are not going to make the progress that we need to make as a world power. I'll bet there are already plans in place to decide who the Republican candidate will be in four years.

I do not agree with most of President Obama's positions. I think closing Guantanamo Bay will come back to haunt us one day, and in a big way. I think pouring more and more money into a free market system may not be the best idea either. But I am willing to sit back and be proven wrong. I'm willing to not assume that I am definitively correct and he is unequivocally wrong.

I am willing to give the guy a chance and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, then put me on the nominations search committee for the Republican Party. I have a long list of names that I would love to see elected. And if there is a change in the administration four years from now, I may say I told you so, but I won't boo the Obamas on their way out. I was raised better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Deanne! Though Obama is not my president of choice, the position he holds deserve respect and we should give him our prayers, too. It's a big job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?