Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Things that make you go Hmmmm.....

Why is it that otherwise intelligent people get goofy when it snows? I was reminded yesterday of a story from my childhood. Arkansas got hit with an ice storm. My mom emails me before 6 AM that the her porch and driveway are slick but she's not sure yet about the roads. She guesses she'll try out her four wheel drive because she has to get her hair done. A hair appointment. Hardly worth the risk of getting out on the ice - in my opinion. (I was informed that it was more involved than just a cut and style).

Took me back a number of years. Any time that it snowed and school was out both my parents were home. All it took was for the newscast to say "Don't get out on the roads unless you absolutely have to" and both my parents would immediately go get in the car and take off. One time they got as far as our neighborhood park (basically around the corner) and had to CRAWL back home on their hands and knees when the car got stuck and it was too slick to walk. I was a teenager at the time so I was old enough to be mortified. I will say that when I was very young - and not old enough to know better - we used to have a big time. We'd go up to the mall parking lot an do donuts in the snow. Only we called them cutting hookers. My parents were/are reasonably smart people but snow was the big weakness. Go figure.

I've also been wondering what George Bush did on the morning of January 21, 2009. I mean think about it - you've spent 8 years with a full staff catering to your every need, daily meetings on all kinds of world issues, phone calls with heads of state, fancy dinners. And then, in less than 24 hours, nothing. You're back to being an ordinary citizen - granted, with not so ordinary bodyguards - with no agenda, no press conference, no briefings. Just your morning coffee and a newspaper and nothing but time in front of you. What would you do? Where would you start? Its like the old saying - Nowhere to go and all day to get there. And Mrs. Bush? If I were her I would have just rolled over for a while, happy to have my privacy back.

This time of year, as I face 60+ hour work weeks, I wonder why I still do this job year after year. After I play tennis for a couple of hours I wonder several things - first Why? and secondly Why didn't we have at least one kid so I wouldn't have to keep picking up the balls all over the court?

But, an inquisitive mind is a healthy mind. I heard that somewhere recently. Maybe my Harry Potter game? I'm too tired to remember for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, but leaving your house in the ice/snow to "get your hair done" and the crawling home in the ice bit should TOTALLY be Darla Stories. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?