Thursday, January 15, 2009

Things I Don't Like

This post should probably come with warning but here goes.


Why is it if you tell someone that is a supporter of our President-Elect Obama that you are not a a supporter then you are somehow a racist? Why can't I just oppose him on principle - since his principles are basically where I differ? I didn't call people who supported Bill Clinton rednecks.


I try very hard to leave race out of conversations. I was reading a list of potential board members for a group I belong to and came across an unfamiliar name and asked who she was. I was told she was "dynamic black woman who...". I thought to myself, if someone asks about me am I described as a white woman? Probably not.


I was telling a story over the holidays and talking about someone and giving an accurate picture of this person and was interrupted for someone to say "she was a black lady who...". Completely unnecessary to story to give the skin color. It added nothing to what I was saying.

I would gladly support JC Watts of Oklahoma or Dr. Condolezza Rice for higher office. I have the utmost respect for their abilities and leadership. I might even break my own rule and put a sign in my yard if they were to run.

Its 2009. I just find it hard to believe that we all still have to put a color label on people. I'm not trying to belittle the sense of pride being felt throughout the black community. I get it. There are a lot of women that I think would make a wonderful President and I will burst with pride should any of them get elected. But just because I'm not busting at the seams over this President should not be misconstrued.

I'm a conservative, not a racist. There is a difference.

1 comment:

  1. You make me want to start blogging again. :) I haven't updated my blog since Mike Huckabee withdrew from the Primaries.

    I had a long discussion with an African American woman in my office one day as she stopped to pick up her son from school.

    Her viewpoint certainly is the Historical aspect of Obama being the first black president. I get that too, sort of. Shouldn't we be way past this. Living in Maryland (close to DC) the race issue is no longer white folks hating black folks - it's reversed. Still racism - but when county leaders make statement in Prince Georges County (immediately neighboring DC) that there is "no reason for any white person to ever be elected to office in this county," I'm sorry - THAT'S RACISM at its finest (or worst) and had a white elected official said that in my county about white elected posiitons - they would be expected to resign. Racism is alive and well - but I think its changing - at least in my area - our kids are color blind for the most part.

    She did point out that the black vote was only about 8% of the vote so it wasn't completely about black people voting for a black man - however I think the percentage was higher than 8% (maybe 15%). I think there was a cultural pull to vote for Obama. The community of our country that is most likely to seek Welfare and government handouts is who? I won't say it....but that community and those who believe in it politically, is what got Obama elected. When he falls short on his campaign promises (and he will do so miserably) those that voted for him will turn on him just as quickly as they got sucked in by his hypnotic charisma (which I just DON'T get). :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?