Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas on the Inside

My husband made sure I noticed earlier today that he had started gathering up some of the Christmas decorations and placing them by the "Christmas closet". He wasn't boxing them up, just getting them to the right place. I let him know that his efforts had not gone unnoticed. And then I asked why. His response - Christmas is over.

But does it have to be? I asked why it couldn't still be Christmas on the inside. I did finally relent and started pulling in the outside garlands and bows. The tree and presents that sit on the front porch. All but the reindeer ears on one of the "sculptures" that sits by the door. They are all tangled up and I'm not sure how to get them off. Then I came back inside and announced there was no move evidence of Christmas on the outside.

But it is still Christmas on the inside. The tree is still up, the table still decorated. More importantly, it is Christmas inside ME. I want to try and keep that feeling a little longer. People really are nicer to each other during December. They hold open doors when your arms are full. Some might even let you take the closer parking slot in the lot if they really have the spirit!

Why don't we keep Christmas inside? How hard is it really? To treat our fellow man with respect; to be kind and helpful? Why do we wait until a designated date to give gifts to those we love, or just those we want to let know we care? (For the record, my husband and I never exchange gifts on designated dates - birthdays, Valentine's, anniversary, Christmas - we do give gifts when we find something the other one would want or need or appreciate - all year long). Why don't we remain Christ-like in mid-March, or late August, or the day after Thanksgiving? If you've ever gone out shopping on Black Friday you know Jesus is not on people's minds. Why not leave the Nativity scene out year round as a reminder?

Maybe the world, or at least our immediate environment, might be just a little nicer, more pleasant place to be. And it can start with us. Someone has to take the first step, be a leader. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?