Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Guardian Angels

I believe in spirits. I have seen them. I have smelled them. I have felt them. And I actually take great comfort in knowing they are there.

I realize that a lot of people don't believe, for religious reasons or just as a skeptic, but I think that believing in spirits is just an extension of believing in life after death. What is the point of believing that we'll go to Heaven some day if all we're going to do is sit around? There's work to be done! Yes, I believe that God is omnipotent and could do all the work himself, but why should He? Why not put all those spirits to work?

I had the privilege one time to wake up one morning only to see my grandfather and cousin standing at the foot of the bed. Just as solid and real as if they were actually there. This was 1995 and my cousin had died in 1987 and my grandfather the year before. About the time it hit me what I was seeing they disappeared and a very cold breeze blew over me. I'm not sure why they were there, but I know they were. I had other experiences in junior high and high school with situations that couldn't be explained any way other than having a guardian angel.

My dad and I were very close. I had the honor, thanks to my aunt's request/suggestion, to speak at my daddy's funeral. One of the absolute toughest but most rewarding things I have ever done. As I finished I gathered my papers and headed back to my seat. In my ear, just as plain as day was Daddy's voice. "Way to go Bud".

Less than two years later I credit him with helping me in a car accident. I am very aware of how this will sound. I was driving to work one morning, fairly quickly down the interstate. Another car decided it wanted to be in my lane right where I happened to be. I pulled to the left and ended up hitting a construction retaining wall (I do blame all the salt and sand and ice that line the interstate in Kansas City in February). The car started spinning down the interstate. I had something of an out-of-body experience at that point and from outside the car I could see a huge hand reach down and keep turning the car but it turned while staying in the same lane. I didn't go all over the road. I didn't hit anyone else. I hit the retaining wall several times - the only part of the car that didn't get replaced were the two doors. And I walked away. And without thinking I said "Thank you, Daddy". I just knew.

I guess I just take comfort in knowing that the people I love and helped take care of me while I was growing up are still doing just that - looking out for me an helping me. And, bizarrely I know, I'm actually looking forward to doing the same thing some day (a VERY long time from now I hope!). Helping to look after grand and great-grand nieces and nephews. Watching over the family from a different angle. Being a guardian angel.

In the meantime I'll try not to give my guardian angel too much of a workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?