Monday, January 5, 2009

Puppy Love

We never intended to have a family of 7. I'm not entirely sure that we ever thought past the first one! And while I'm not embarrassed to have such a large family I don't always share the information voluntarily. People will make the rudest comments or give you the strangest looks! As if it is any of their business. I get similar looks and comments when people find out that I don't have any traditional children. One husband, married almost 20 years, no kids. No, I will not change my mind someday. No I don't want to borrow one to see what I'm missing. It is no one's business why my husband chose this lifestyle but some people still feel free to ask the questions or provide an opinion. Believe me, the ship has sailed on the childbearing.

Anyway, as I sit here looking at all 7 quietly sleeping I can tell you that I wouldn't trade one minute of it. And I'd defy anyone who doesn't think I'm their "momma". They certainly think so. Like many children, Sadie wants a hug when she gets up in the morning. At 4:45 this morning I rolled over to see her little face squished up between the bed and my night stand. Tail just a wagging! What better way to start the day! I had another one, Frankie, pressed up against my back - an excellent snuggle buddy. I have two "feet warmers" that take turns during the night. And I get met at the door every day with a tangle of bodies, big an small, trying to get to me and lick my face. No more troubles after that.

All of us were given different talents. Not everyone was meant to be a mom or a dad. Some of us are pretty terrific aunts. The challenge is to find what you do well, and then do it. And do it as well as you possibly can. Go big or go home! My dad always said that's why they made chocolate and vanilla - something for everyone.

For us, there is a big soft spot for puppy dogs. They find us more than we go looking for them. But I think we do it well. We have 7 fairly well-adjusted animals that love us more than life itself. Unconditional love. We deal with the up-all-nights when we're house training or one is sick. We deal with doctors and medications and all that. We just don't have to buy $100 tennis shoes or fund a college education. It works for us.

I just sometimes wish people would exercise the "unconditional" part.


2 comments:

  1. Looper (my 14 year old Golden Retreiver) was most definately my first born!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered your blog through Molly Allen's that lead me to Darla's and just wanted to post that my husband and I also chose not to have children but we have four furry kids, each with special needs, and all adopted from rescue situations. More frequently than not, when people ask us how many children we have, and we say no human kids, but four furry ones, they look at us like we are crazy. But we honestly believe that this is our calling - to parent these precious pups who have been abused, abandoned, neglected - and we are grateful for each of them and the love they bring to us and eachother. And try B-12 for your seizure dog since this vitamin does help people seizures. Also ask your vet if Ativan can be given to your seizure dog.
    God Bless...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share my thoughts. Care to share yours?